Saturday, February 1, 2014

Daddy YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!

So last week I was out in my garage organizing and cleaning.   I have been organizing and cleaning the garage now for almost 2 months.   My kids all love being out there, and especially love undoing my work.  Cathryn was outside with me, and wanted me to do something else.  This is how the conservation went.  Cathryn- "Daddy, what are you doing now?).   Daddy-"I am going through this box to put it all away."   Cathryn- "Daddy!! You still have too many boxes, are you EVER going to be finished?")  Daddy- "Well I have a lot of tools and I want to be able to have my garage be a fun place to work in."   Cathryn- "DADDY!  YOU A PROBLEM!!!"   (I don't have a problem, except for snoopy kids!).   Well after that she promptly went into the house, to leave me alone to think about my so said "problem."    I decided to take the practical solution and compare my "problem" to addiction symptoms.   Symptom 1- Deny you have a problem.   I DON'T have a problem.  This is a stupid symptom, it sounds like something you would say to any one to manipulate them into looking at it your way.    Symptom 2- Can you resist a tool sale? (Is Eve or my Mom going to read this?)  I resist every tool sale and blindly drive past signs advertising tools......... Ummm sure.   Symptom 3 does your tool dealer know your name?   Yes, but that is because it is good customer service.  They send Christmas Cards to every one, don't they?   I mean I got one from the hotel I stay at (every week) in Boise too.    Symptom 3- Have you ever hid a tool purchase from your wife?    Ummm what was that last question?    Symptom 4- Do you ever have to justify your tool purchases?   No doesn't everyone know the need to have 150 screwdrivers?    After all I do get rid of tools, I got rid of a sander just the other day.  I gave it to my Dad.  Does it matter that I already had a new one and the one I gave my Dad was broken?  I don't think that matters at all.  I managed to get rid of a tool.

Well perhaps I have a slight tool addiction. :).  I got it from my Dad.  I have always loved watching my Father work with tools, and I feel a connection with him every time I use a tool that I learned to use from him.  I am so enjoying passing on this knowledge to my own children, along with another Macbeth tradition of accusing your children of taking your tools!!!  I swear I never ever took any of my dad's tools.  My dad's favorite screwdriver ended up in the dog kennel all by itself I didn't have anything to do with it!!  All though I learned that my Dad knew how to swear because of that screwdriver.   I know that it is a tradition, because my favorite story from Grandpa Macbeth is the story about him framing his favorite hammer in the wall of the bathroom he was remodeling.   He accused my Dad of taking it.  It wasn't until my Dad was an adult, that grandpa found the hammer in the wall, and apologized to my Dad.  Dad do you remember taking the screwdriver out to the kennel now?  You must have because I never played with your tools.  Maybe I will get an apology one of these days. -(:   They say imitation is the greatest flattery, well father I am very proud to follow in your footsteps as a handyman and tool connoisseur.  


Just as a side note if you want to know how much pizza is eaten during the Super Bowl.  My warehouse alone delivered just over 17,000 cases of pizza this week.  It means 272,000 pizza were sold in Utah and Southern Idaho, just of our brands.

5 comments:

  1. As the mother, wife, and granddaughter of the aforementioned tool "experts" there is a definite plus - getting things fixed! I have never lacked in that area and am glad Joseph is carrying on the tradition of serving others. We're told that kids have memories like elephants and I guess this proves it. Dave forgot long ago that he had sworn on certain momentous occasions but obviously his son never did forget. (For those of you reading this, Joseph just reminded his dad that he swore on three occasions - all involving tools. Dave has forgotten every single one of them. We need some of that fuller's soap that is talked about in the scriptures!) Thanks for the good laugh, Joseph. This is a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I think your blog name is tremendously clever! Now I think I'll go eat a pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing just the right thing to preserved all the little day-to-day things that will make you "come alive" for future generations. Keep up the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you forming a recovery group? I have a candidate!

    ReplyDelete